If you need an adhesive for repairs around the home, small construction jobs, or even for arts and crafts, then there are of course some very good options out there. In terms of adhesives, three of the best ones to consider are Loctite, Gorilla Glue, and Krazy Glue.
Now, technically speaking, all three of these brand names do have wide varieties of glues and adhesives that they sell, but they do also have their standard flagship products too.
What we are here to do today is to compare the main flagship products of all three brands, Loctite, Gorilla Glue, and Krazy Glue, to see what each of them are, what they excel at, and more. Let’s figure out which of these adhesives is right for you, and which one you will use for your next project.
|Loctite Glue||Gorilla Glue||Krazy Glue|
Composition: Liquid Polymer
Materials: Metals only
Applications: Construction, metal repairs, automotive
Curing Time: Roughly 24 hours
Safety Risk: Minimal
Cleanup: Very easy
Materials: Virtually everything
Applications: General use, repairs, crafts
Curing Time: Roughly 24 hours
Safety Risk: Minimal
Materials: Everything but very smooth surfaces
Applications: General use, repairs, crafts
Curing Time: Roughly 5 minutes
Safety Risk: Moderate
The first of the adhesives that we want to take a look at is known as Loctite. Now, Loctite is of course a brand name, not a specific product, but that said, this brand does produce one specific product that is most widely used and more popular than any of its others, and that is the Loctite Threadlocker, and this is the main product from this brand that we want to look at right now.
What is Loctite?
Loctite, as a brand, is an American brand that produces a variety of adhesives and adhesive types, a very popular and well known brand, particularly in North America, but the main product on their line is what we want to look at today, and this is Loctite Threadlocker, a special adhesive made with polymers that is designed to be used in the automotive and construction industries.
✅Purchase link: Buy Loctite Threadlocker at Amazon
What is Loctite Made of?
OK, so this particular adhesive is made out of a liquid synthetic polymer that cures inside of an anaerobic environment. Curing inside of an anaerobic environment means that this type of adhesive will not cure just from the air alone, and it also won’t cure just from water. This product will not harden and cure unless it is placed between two active pieces of metal, such as between a nut and bolt. What it really comes down to is that the synthetic polymer used here hardens into what essentially amounts to plastic.
What is Loctite Used for?
As mentioned above, this particular type of adhesive is generally used in the automotive and construction industries. This specific type of adhesive, the thread locker, is designed to be placed between a nut and bolt. To be specific, it is designed to be applied to the thread of a bolt or a screw in order to make a nut or fitting it properly and to be more secure.
In other words, this stuff is designed to glue together nuts and bolts and nuts (and nuts and screws). The aim here is to allow the fittings to absorb vibrations without coming loose. When bolts vibrate a lot, the nuts may come loose, which is of course not a good thing. Loctite is designed to prevent this from occurring. With that being said in, this makes for an excellent metal glue that will glue metal together securely without question.
✅Purchase link: Buy Loctite Fun-Tak at Amazon
How Loctite Works
As we have touched on, this particular product is made with a synthetic polymer that is specifically designed to only harden and cure once it comes into contact with two pieces of metal. Although we aren’t going to get into the scientific details of it, there is a special compound contained within this adhesive that only activates when it comes into contact with active metal. Therefore, as you can imagine that this type of adhesive can only be used on metal.
This loctite threadlocker takes just 10 minutes to set and about 24 hours to cure. As long as the metal parts are clean and the glue is sandwiched in between two metal parts, it should never take longer than 24 hours to cure.
✅Purchase link: Buy Loctite PL Premium at Amazon
Is Loctite Toxic?
Generally speaking, Loctite Threadlocker is only minimally toxic when ingested. Even when it is still wet, it is not overly toxic and when it is cured it is not toxic to ingest at all. However, the fumes released by it may irritate the eye and your respiratory system, and it may also irritate your skin if it gets on you.
Different Types of Loctite
OK, so you know that there is the Loctite threadlocker, but with that being said there are also other kinds of loctite for you to know about. Other options from this brand include fun tack mounting putty, premium construction adhesive, gel super glue, foam sealant, spray adhesive, and more.
✅Purchase link: Buy Loctite Ultra Gel at Amazon
Gorilla Glue Review
The next product or brand that we want to take a look at is Gorilla Glue. Now, just like Loctite, Gorilla Glue does also make a whole lot of different products, but with that being said, their flagship product is Gorilla Glue polyurethane glue. This is the number one product that we want to take a look at right now and it is indeed one of the most useful and versatile adhesives out on the market at this time.
What is Gorilla Glue?
OK, so Gorilla Glue is of course a brand name, not just a product. And yes, this brand name produces literally dozens of different products, mainly adhesiveness and glues. Now, with that being said, the flagship product is Gorilla Super Polyurethane Glue. This is a very specific and special type of glue that is unlike most others out there, one that can be used to glue together a very wide variety of materials. It bonds very quickly and is ideal for home use.
✅Purchase link: Buy Gorilla Glue polyurethane at Amazon
What is Gorilla Glue Made of?
Now the really interesting part about this specific type of gorilla glue is the fact that it is very different from other types of glue. Most glues that function similarly to this one are made using cyanoacrylate, which activates when it comes into contact with the moisture in the air. However, this particular gorilla glue super Glue is made with a polymer. Specifically, the polymer used here is polyurethane. Polyurethane is a very strong polymer that turned into what essentially amounts to plastic, very strong and flexible plastic.
What is Gorilla Glue Used for?
The really cool thing about Gorilla Glue is the fact that it can be used for a very wide variety of tasks and projects. For one, it has the ability to bond together a very wide variety of materials, including metals, ceramics, some plastics fabrics, textiles, wood and more.
Second, this is a type of adhesive that you can use for most repair jobs around the house, such as for repairing toys, plastics, and even clothing to a certain extent.
This stuff is very impact resistant and it can hold a lot of weight too, so it can actually be used for repairs. That involves some moving parts and need to be able to bear some weight. This is a high strength super glue that is ideal for use for a variety of repairs as well as for arts and crafts too.
✅Purchase link: Buy Gorilla Clear Glue at Amazon
How Gorilla Glue Works
What is interesting to note here is that Gorilla Glue is actually also a polyurethane adhesive, just like LOCTITE. However, the difference here is that where Loctite requires metal to activate the polymers, Gorilla glue does not. Gorilla Glue uses a special type of polyurethane polymer that is activated by moisture or in other words, just like cyanoacrylate glues. When this adhesive comes into contact with moisture, a chemical reaction occurs that causes it to harden and cure. When it comes down to it, this is one of the most versatile adhesives out there.
What you do need to know about this specific type of gorilla glue is that you do need to clamp it for around 2 hours until it dries. Moreover, it will take around 24 hours for it to achieve a full cure.
✅Purchase link: Buy Gorilla Super Glue Gel at Amazon
Is Gorilla Glue Toxic?
Although Gorilla Glue is definitely not something that you want to ingest when it comes down to it, it’s not all that toxic, and this is true even before it is cured. With that being said, this stuff will bond to your skin rather quickly, so you don’t want to get it on your skin and you also don’t want to inhale too many of the fumes either.
Different Types of Gorilla Glue
Just like with the Loctite brand Gorilla Glue also produces a very wide variety of products, so let’s take a quick look at the biggest and most popular ones. Some of the most popular types of Gorilla Glue include clear glue, super glue gel, and waterproof wood glue.
✅Purchase link: Buy Gorilla Ultimate at Amazon
Krazy Glue Review
The last brand or product that we want to look at today is Krazy Glue, a fantastic multi-purpose adhesive that can be used for a variety of tasks around the house. Let’s find out what this stuff is, how it works, and what it is best used for.
What is Krazy Glue?
Ok, so first and foremost, Krazy Glue is of course a brand name, not a product in itself, but that said, the flagship product from this brand is its super glue, so this is what we are going to be looking at today. When it comes down to it, this is absolutely one of the best kinds of super glue out there at this time.
✅Purchase link: Buy Krazy Glue at Amazon
What is Krazy Glue Made of?
OK, so this is indeed a true super glue as it is made with cyanoacrylate. Cyanoacrylate is a special type of water activated adhesive. To be clear, a sign acrylate is any class of compounds that are cyanide derivatives of acrylates. These are easily turned into polymers and are therefore used for making very quick setting adhesives that take clear seconds to dry and cure. When it comes down to it, cyanoacrylate glue is the scientific term for super Glue.
What is Krazy Glue Used for?
Krazy Glue is an all purpose type of adhesive that can be used for a wide variety of tasks around the house. Your average Krazy glue has the ability to bond a variety of materials, including avoid some plastics, ceramic, glass, porcelain, leather, rubber and vinyl. Therefore you can use it around the house to perform a variety of repairs, to build a variety of things, to create models, and for many other purposes too. This truly is an all purpose adhesive.
✅Purchase link: Buy Krazy Glue Maximum at Amazon
How Krazy Glue Works
Alright, so as we mentioned previously, this is a cyanoacrylate glue, which means that it works by coming into contact with moisture. Now you don’t need to spray anything because the moisture in the air around you is enough to activate this glue. When it comes into contact with moisture, a chemical reaction occurs which causes it to cure and harden within a matter of minutes or even seconds.
Of course, the really cool thing about super glue like this is that it takes only a few seconds to set and only a couple of minutes, if that, to cure. This is one of the reasons why Krazy Glue is so popular because it works so darn quickly.
Is Krazy Glue Toxic?
cyanoacrylate is mildly toxic. If you happen to ingest it while it is still liquid. However, because it cures so quickly, as soon as it comes out of the packaging, there is almost no chance of ingesting it while it is still liquid. When the glue is cured and hard, it poses no health risks. With that being said, while it is still liquid, it does release noxious fumes that can be irritating to the eyes, nose, mouth, and throat.
Different Kinds of Krazy Glue
In terms of the different types of crazy glue, although there are a few different types such as home and office, as well as maximum bond, the fact of the matter is that they are all cyanoacrylate glues.
✅Purchase link: Buy Krazy Glue Gel at Amazon
Comparing Loctite vs Gorilla Glue vs Super Glue
Alright, so now that we know what Loctite, Gorilla Glue, and Krazy Glue are, let’s do a quick side by side comparison to figure out which one is best for you.
First and foremost, let’s compare what each of these types of adhesives are best used for.
- Loctite Threadlocker which is made with a synthetic polymer is designed to be used exclusively with metal components specifically. When sandwiched between two metal components. Remember that this blue will not activate if it is not sandwiched between two pieces of metal. Generally speaking, it is best used as a threadlocker for nuts and bolts. However, it can also be used as a general metal glue to adhere two pieces of metal together. As long as there are two pieces of metal involved, you can use this glue.
- Gorilla Glue is a great all purpose glue that can be used for a wide variety of purposes. The simple reality is that this stuff will stick to nearly anything and that goes even for smooth surfaces. Gorilla Glue is one of the only types of glue that works on extremely smooth surfaces such as glass and plastic, yet still has a whole lot of strength. For this reason, Gorilla Glue can be used for a variety of building projects, repairs, arts and crafts, and more. The other fact here is that Gorilla Glue is extremely strong, impact resistant and able to resist a whole lot of weight.
- Finally, we have Krazy glue, which is some pretty average super glue. By average we mean that it is just regular super glue, not that it doesn’t work well. This is a fantastic option to use if you need a glue that can bond together all sorts of materials now do keep in mind that this stuff cannot bond extremely smooth class or plastics, but it does work really well for other materials and it is excellent for doing small repairs and building tasks.
- As we have made clear by now, Loctite Threadlocker requires metal to function. Metal is the only material that this glue may be used for.
- In terms of versatility of materials that can be bonded, gorilla glue is definitely the most versatile option on the list today, as it has the ability to bond all of materials together, including both pores and non porous materials.
- As long as the materials are slightly porous than Krazy glue works just fine. The only thing that Krazy glue does not really work for is for smooth plastics glass.
- In terms of overall strength Loctite Threadlocker is very strong. Loctite Threadlocker is waterproof and heat resistant, not to mention vibration and impact resistant, which is why it is used to hold nuts and bolts together.
- When it comes down to it, Gorilla Glue is probably the strongest type of glue armalis today. And it’s not only because it has the ability to bond with so many different materials, but also because it has high tensile strength and shear strength. Plus, it can hold up a lot of weight and is extremely resistant to heat, water, and more.
- Krazy Glue is a very strong type of glue to use if you need something that can hold up a lot of weight and forms a very strong bond. With that being said, Super Glue does not handle impacts very well. Moreover, although super glue is very heat resistant and water resistant, it doesn’t handle solvents very well.
- Loctite threadlocker although it is very strong, it can be removed with common adhesives. Cleaning it up is also very easy and is perhaps the easiest adhesive on the list to clean up.
- Just like with the LOCTITE option above, Gorilla Glue can be undone and cleaned up using acetone or in other words, nail polish remover.
- There are some types of super glue or Krazy glue that are not totally waterproof, so water may work to clean it up, but with that being said the number one choice for super glue cleanup is also acetone.
In terms of health warnings, the worst one on the list here is definitely crazy glue or super glue, and this is because the fumes released by cyanoacrylate are very nauseous and irritating to the eyes, nose and mouth. Other than that, as long as you don’t ingest any of these products, you should be just fine.
There are so many differences between these glues to talk about that you are best off referring to the table that we have created at the very beginning of this article.
For instance, Krazy glue dries and cures nearly instantly, whereas the other two types will take about 24 hours to cure.
Moreover, crazy glue can only be used for porous surfaces, whereas Gorilla glue can be used for all types of surfaces and Loctite Treadlocker can only be used for metal. These are all extremely different types of adhesives that all have their own specific purposes. So which one you choose is of course extremely important in terms of the overall success of your project.